News and Upcoming Events
Visit the Don’t Rush to Flush bin map for medication drop-off locations near you, accepted items, hours of operation, and other information.
How Does It Work?
Follow these 3 easy steps:
- At home, remove, scratch off or black-out personal information from the containers to protect your identity.
- Just before drop-off, remove pills from the original container, place in a clear zipper bag, and recycle the container. Keep liquids and creams in original containers.
- Bring zipper bag and any liquids/creams to a Don’t Rush to Flush location and place in the bin – It’s that easy!
Note: Medications should remain in the
original child-proof container until just prior to drop-off.
What can I put in Don’t Rush to Flush bins?
- Prescription medications – only certain locations accept Controlled Substance medications*. Please check the bin locations map for information about what types of medications each site can accept.
- Over-the-counter medications
- Medicated ointments and lotions (leave tightly sealed in original containers)
- Pet medications
*Check this short list or this complete list to see if your medications are controlled substances.
What cannot go in Don’t Rush to Flush bins?
- Used Sharps (hypodermic needles, syringes, auto injectors, infusion sets, connection needles/sets, and lancets)
- Dietary Supplements, Vitamins
- Business Waste (e.g. Company Representative’s Product Samples, Waste from Clinics, Doctor’s, Dentist’s, and Veterinary practices)
- Mercury Thermostats
- Chemotherapy or cytotoxic medicines
- Compressed Gas Cylinders or Aerosol Containers (e.g. asthma inhalers)